Monday, July 26th, 2010

Comic-Con: Or, Here’s Why I Didn’t Just Blog a Bunch of Times

I went to Comic-Con.

While I was there I had to blog a bunch of times for Techland, to justify their paying for me to go, plus make a couple of appearances for The Magicians.

Then I was also cramming research for a Time story I’m writing now, and trying to write The Magician King. That was enough without blogging here. Though I would have liked to have been blogging here.

If you’re curious what I would have said, you can pretty much read it in the form of these Techland posts:

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con Goes to Comic-Con, Part I

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con Goes to Comic-Con, Part II: Hope Kills

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con Goes to Comic-Con, Part III: Stormtrooper House Party

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con Goes to Comic-Con, Part IV: Adam Warlock Is Dead

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con Goes to Comic-Con, Part V: They Are Sex Bob-omb

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con Has Left Comic-Con

The Guy Who Hates Comic-Con: Oh My God Shut Up about Comic-Con Already

You might get from the titles of these posts that I have somewhat ambivalent feelings about Comic-Con. That is true.

Great things happen at Comic-Con. Amazing panels — I was lucky enough to be on one this year — and conversations happen. I see people I never get to see. One night zithromax sold online last week I drank lots of beer and talked about Gamma World with China Miéville. That is not something you complain about. That is an unambiguous good.

But there are larger, more systemic problems with Comic-Con, relating to its having been effectively bought in recent years with millions of dollars of studio money. Here’s part of what I wrote about that:

Nerd culture is a counter-culture, and counter-cultures can die; in fact if there’s one thing late-stage capitalism is good at, it’s co-opting and killing counter-cultures. Viz. punk, the 60’s, etc.

Nerd culture could be the next punk. Every time I’m walking the floor of Comic-Con, and I see one of those dudes with drive-time DJ voices flogging plastic promotional objects at me, in the tone of a farmer calling pigs to the slop, so I can use those objects to better define my identity as a consumer of his products, thereby making the drive-time dude a fortune, somewhere a fairy dies. Or maybe a dark elf.

And so on.

No other news. Back to work.

p.s. if the images that accompany these posts sometimes (or always) seem inexplicable, you can always check the alt text by hovering your mouse over them. I’m a heavy user of alt text.

10 comments on “Comic-Con: Or, Here’s Why I Didn’t Just Blog a Bunch of Times

1. Alejandra315 says:

I love totoro! and thanks God it doesn’t look that angry in real life (scary totoro)… By the way, for which daughter is it?

the big one! the little one doesn’t need presents yet. just my constant attention, all night, every night.

3. Rita says:

Now see, I would never go to comic-con because I assumed it was ALL the stuff you hated about it. But, in your pieces, you wrote about things that actually sound kind of cool. Like a sub-culture of the sub-culture, very good things happening in nooks and crannies away from the mob. The feeling of not wanting to go is less than it was before.

I have faith in nerds. They’re smarter than the hippies or the punks or any other culture, they will survive and if comic-com doesn’t work for them, dammit, they’ll make something that will, since that is the nerd way of life. I’m sure it’s being planned out in some kid’s garage in Kansas right now.

4. Kat says:

You. Had drinks. With China Miéville. Just tell me he’s as cool as I think he is, okay?

*dies of envy*

Not a problem. He is a cool cool man.

6. Dennitzio says:

The one big difference between nerd culture and the other subcultures you mentioned is that most nerds WANT to be the mainstream. It’s what they dreamed about… To be cool to the rest of the rest of the school kids. Most other countercultures defined cool as insider-only.

7. Jean-Daniel Breque says:

You should come to Utopiales, in Nantes (France).
    A history-rich city (Anne de Bretagne’s castle; the Passage Pommeray, a Surrealist icon); cool guest writers (Ian McDonald, Lucius Shepard, plus French and European writers you haven’t heard from and who’ll blow your mind).
    Plus me, yr humble and obedient translator.
    See their website — this year’s, in the making: http://www.utopiales.org/2010/ — and last year, with debriefings galore: http://www.utopiales.org/2009/.
    Best,
    Jean-Daniel

I would love to come! I could practice my terrible French too.

9. Bill Bridges says:

Love your bio on your twitter page. Man, that’s old school.