Son of Bride of Housekeeping Notes: Charlie Rose, the Times List

1. My Brakebills shirt arrived today. Where’s yours? Where is it?

2. Today I got an e-mail from Charlie Rose’s producer asking me to come on and talk about this summer’s books.

I hated to leave Sophie and Halcyon (Hally? Hallie? Not sure yet.) But jeez, I’ve always wanted to be on that show. I’ve even been booked a couple of times, but I always got bumped. Not this time.

I had an hour and a half to get ready. I took a shower, shaved my head, put on clothes (the theme of my outfit was: I am awake and alert and not the father of a newborn baby) and grabbed a taxi.

Charlie Rose is shot in the Bloomberg building, which is a building that comes from the future. In the future everything — doors, elevators, urinals — is either a monitor or a mirror. I was placed in a white life-support pod with the other guests (Dana Stevens from Slate, Lisa Schwarzbaum from Entertainment Weekly, Sasha Frere-Jones from the New Yorker, Stephanie Zacharek from Movieline). They were all nice. There was backstage camaraderie. The movie people all went on together. I (and also Frere-Jones) went on alone.

All I can say is that Rose looks and sounds exactly like he does on TV, which is actually pretty rare in my experience. He’s smart and nice. His table does in fact float in an inky black void, not unlike the one Mork floated in when he did his end-of-show reports about Earth to Orson. (#trivia!)

As usually happens when I go on TV, I entered a Great-Outdoor-Fight-style fugue state as soon as they clipped the mike on me. I have no idea what I said. I hope it was mostly in English.

The show will air on July 4th. Tune in if you hate fireworks!

3. The Magicians will be #15 on next week’s New York Times list! Hooray!

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Son of Bride of Housekeeping Notes: Charlie Rose, the Times List”

congrats
    too bad that we probably dont get that channel…

2. JoanArkham says:

Psst, M. It’s on your local PBS station if you are in the U.S. Check your local listings, as they say.

you know maybe that’s OK. I’m starting to remember some of the stuff I said …

4. dennitzio says:

Does Halcyon have her Brakebills shirt yet?

5. gminnj says:

Just watched it, and I think you did really well. Must be hellishly intimidating to sit there, even if Rose is ‘smart and nice.’

I continue to agree with (and celebrate) your conviction that plot and genre are no longer at odds with literature, and I hope Charlie and his viewers got the point.

Picked up ‘the Passage’ this weekend, but it is on a big pile with other things that I have to get to before the rest of us get the Franzen you already have at hand! (jealous)

6. Rita says:

I thought you did really well, too and again, found myself nodding in agreement with (pretty much) everything you said.

There was a little laugh in our living-room at your direct clarification about The Magicians being adult. Not “young adult,” but adult The whole “young adult” vs “adult” classification is an issue we’re swimming in right now, and it’s a murky one. I would (obviously) recommend The Magicians to certain teens (high school age kids who read a lot and appreciate fantasy) and most definitely to actual young adults.

It seems the YA label has less to do with drugs and sex and serious issues and more to do with… I don’t even know what. I kind of wish the YA classification weren’t even there and we just had a divide between Juvenile and Adult and we let the kids in that murky in-between area navigate according their own maturity level and reading interests. I’ve enjoyed my share of YA books (The Book Thief, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, American Gods and The Hunger Games books, which you mentioned on the show, to name a few).

I’ve put The Passage on my list. And thank you for relieving my guilt for not liking Stieg’s books. I had been feeling outnumbered and like maybe I just have bad taste.

7. Jen says:

I nearly jumped up and down when you plugged Mockingjay. Thank you! I feel like a one-woman street team for those books.

8. Alison says:

Halycon. She will find her own nickname in good time, and you won’t be able to do anything about it. If you have already given her Hally/ie, then she will only be able to rebel with Cyan. Or Hitch.

9. fabiola pina says:

I really don’t judge you should be dressed in loincloths made of dingo skin, any better than were known to calculate. Right after we realize that it is valuation if you, it becomes remarkable.