Saturday, September 11th, 2010

Fall Events, Mumbled Apologies, Fandom and Me

It doesn’t surprise me that I’ve been so crap about posting, given this. I’m not happy about it. But I’m not surprised.

And even this will not be a true ‘post,’ in the sense that it adds any content to the ambient contentverse. It’s just a haphazard aggregation of pre-existing content. But right now it’s all I got.

— I spent last weekend in Georgia. I went to DragonCon, the sheer scale of which was stunning — just the raw acreage of exposed cosplayer flesh alone was awe-inspiring — and the Decatur Book Festival, a really lovely event — the people were truly wonderful, and I don’t know if I’ve ever been to a better-organized books festival. And I addressed an audience from the pulpit of a Baptist church, thereby fulfilling a childhood ambition:

I also smoked a cigarette, thereby ruining an adulthood ambition. At least I didn’t do them at the same time.

— If anybody’s curious about my Time cover on Jonathan Franzen, it has now emerged shyly out from behind Time‘s paywall. I wrote a profile of William Gibson too, but that one’s still in hiding.

— Now to the future. My festival attendance is not over for this buy zithromax hong kong year, not by half. I’ll be at the Miami Book Fair in November. I’ll also be at the Texas Book Festival in Austin in October, for an event that I think hasn’t been announced yet, so I’d better not announce it here, lest I get in trouble.

I don’t think I’m going to make it to the World Fantasy Convention. That’s disappointing. My career is so evenly distributed between the so-called literary world and the so-called fantasy world, I sometimes have trouble balancing the two halves.

Of course I don’t actually admit that there are two halves. To me they just look like one big world. But sometimes they happen in different places, and you can’t get to both. If I end up at the civilian book festivals a lot, as is happening this fall, one reason is that for some reason they invite me more often than the cons. (Boskone and Readercon being two awesome exceptions.) I think of myself as part of fandom. But sometimes I wonder whether fandom thinks of me as part of it.

— Also I’m taking part in New York’s Lit Crawl tonight. Chance of drunken ranting: 100%.

7 comments on “Fall Events, Mumbled Apologies, Fandom and Me

I went to a Baptist church exactly like that one, in childhood. White pulpit, wood rims. Green chairs. Poofy plant decor. WTF THEY’RE ALL THE SAME.

a customer recommended Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.

I have no freaking idea what is happening in said book….

yeah, go fantasy genre.

3. Niall says:

“for some reason they invite me more often than the cons.”

At a guess, that’s probably because most sf conventions don’t invite people other than their guests of honour. Certainly not systmatically. Until this post and Boskone, Readercon was the only sf con I knew of that did anything like a broader set of invitations.

OK, see, this is good. I’m obviously unclear on the mechanics. So how do people get on panels, hold readings/signings, etc. at cons? The only way I’ve ever done it — except for the above exceptions — was to contact the organizers directly and ask to be included. Maybe I should just keep doing that?

5. Niall says:

Pretty much. Most conventions I’ve been to put up a programme participant form, for anyone who’s interested in being on programme to fill in — it’ll ask about speciality subjects, max number of items you’re willing to do per day, do you want a reading; that sort of thing. From that, they’ll get a huge list of people interested in being on programme, and try to assign everyone to some panel or other.

The next Worldcon, for instance, says: “If you are interested in being on Program, complete the Renovation Program Volunteer Form (this will be available by 1 September 2010). While not everyone who wants to be on Program can be accommodated, we will consider all applications. We promise to respond to all Program volunteers by the end of June 2011 at the latest.” Not that I can find the actual form on their website, yet …

6. The truth is, in life, lots of people understand what to complete, but very few people truly do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must to become self-sufficient

7. Blockley says:

we’ve missed you and your shy emergences and raw acerage.