Thursday, September 30th, 2010

I Did An Interview

It’s here, at Jewcy.

I warned them in advance that my name notwithstanding I am not in fact Jewish (named after Tolstoy, mother is Anglican, etc.) but they were not daunted by this, so off we went. We met at Berry Park, which is this great bar in post-industrial Greenpoint — if you sit on the roof it’s like you’re looking out at a world that ended 50 years ago. Especially after a couple of pints on an empty stomach.

Anyway we had a great conversation. I think a lot of my critical preoccupations come out in it. And by the end I’m almost still speaking in complete sentences.

That is all my news. I’m on leave from Time right now, bashing out the sequel to The Magicians. It’s due fairly soon. Actually if you read my contract really closely, as some “lawyers” might be inclined to do, it’s due tomorrow.

I won’t make that deadline. But I’ll have a draft within the month. This I swear.

One of the secondary effects of this is that I will become even more crap at answering e-mail than I already was. It really, really weighs on me that I don’t answer all my e-mail. I just can’t. If I did I would do nothing but answer e-mail. But because I’m greedy I still read it all, and am totally grateful for it.

22 comments on “I Did An Interview

1. Nicholas D. says:

Good luck, Lev! Excellent interview on Jewcy.

Best,

Nicholas

2. Kat says:

I think we’re both glad that relapsed and atoning former law professors don’t count as lawyers.

Good luck. I have an immense amount of faith in your writing.

3. Nadia says:

“On some level, he’s trying to break off a larger piece of the world than any other writer I can think of… But it somehow carves out a smaller slice of the world than what Franzen does in The Corrections or Freedom. Franzen doesn’t write domestic novels, or novels about economic catastrophe, or financial malfeasance, or sexual eccentricity. His novels are about all of those things at once.”
    May I ask…how much room does this conception of ambition leave for acknowledging the aspirations of works like ‘The Great Gatsby’ and ‘ The Scarlett Letter’? These two novels found symbols for important and substantial ideas that have spoken to generations. Fitzgerald’s green light speaks to the lifestyles we hope for and what the ideal of the American dream inspires in people. Hawthorne’s red ‘A’ embodies the search for identity in a community. They speak to big social/cultural ideals. I think it takes very high aspirations to come up with symbols for ideas that big. What about that kind of ambition?

I don’t think I’m foreclosing on those kinds of aspirations. I’m in deep trouble if I am!

But it’s true that Franzen’s books don’t loom large in the symbolic dimension. His action takes place in a much more literal realm. He’s not a big coiner of universal/generational symbols.

(the exception perhaps being the salmon down Chip’s pants.)

On the other hand I think the power of Fitzgerald’s and Hawthorne’s symbols comes partly from the way they’re embedded in a Franzenian matrix of social/economic realities. Food for thought.

when i read these things, i always wonder if they’ve been edited before published….the things that one say always come out more coherent and insightful than one thinks..

since usually interviews are recorded for accuracy…

but now i know, i do enjoy interviews with a few good swear words thrown in

actually many, which is even better

read this article and thought bout “ambition” well not thought about, more like they pointed it at me with a giant red arrow

7. ab says:

Ҡeep oon working, great job!

8. Additionally, to send out all the fans that you get, they don’t need to
    understand the password as well as e-mail of
    your instagram account.

9. Limo says:

It’s actually very complicated in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I just use the
    web for that reason, and obtain the hottest information.

10. Hit Parade says:

I am no longer positive the place you’re getting
    your info, however good topic. I must spend some time learning much more or working out
    more. Thanks for magnificent information I used to be searching for
    this info for my mission.

11. Genuinely no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of after that its up to other people that
    they will assist, so here it happens.

12. Hi there friends, its impressive piece of writing regarding teachingand entirely defined, keep it
    up all the time.

13. I visit every day a few sites and websites to read content, however this weblog gives quality based
    posts.

14. My partner and I stumbled over here different web address and thought I might as well check
    things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.

Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.

15. You’re so interesting! I don’t believe I’ve read through anything like this before.

So nice to find someone with some unique thoughts on this issue.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one
    thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!

16. Excellent post. I am going through some of these issues as well..

17. I take pleasure in, result in I found just what I
    was looking for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

18. I love looking through a post that will make people think.
    Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

19. Grady says:

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I do believe that you should
    publish more on this subject, it might not be a taboo matter but typically folks don’t
    discuss these issues. To the next! Many thanks!!

20. moe bashir says:

Great post. I am going through some of these issues as well.

21. Hurrah! Finally I got a website from where I can really obtain helpful data regarding my study and knowledge.

22. unisex says:

Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this web site regularly, if so afterward you will definitely get pleasant knowledge.