The Campbell Award: It’s Not Too Late

The Hugo Award nomination period is open.

Yes, I know what you’re going to say. It’s awkward so I’ll even say it for you: Lev, you didn’t publish any books in 2010. Not one. You can’t have a Hugo nomination. There’s nothing to nominate you for.

But I’ve thought of that.

(FWIW I did actually publish a short story in 2010. The first and only short story I’ve ever published in fact. I’m very happy with it — I wouldn’t have published it otherwise — but in general I’m crap at short stories. It’s because I don’t read them, or not much. It’s just a weakness of mine as a reader. I don’t like meeting a bunch of characters, and parsing a whole fictional world, and then being turfed out of it after like 20 pages. It’s like drinking in a bar that closes at 9 o’clock.)

But to return to my earlier point: you are correct. I didn’t publish any books in 2010. But — and here you have to imagine me talking like Hercule Poirot when he’s gathered all the suspects in the drawing room at the end of the book, and he’s preparing to spring the trap — not every Hugo Award is a Hugo Award. There is an award for which I am eligible. It’s not a Hugo, it’s merely Hugo-like. Hugo-esque.

It is the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer.

And I’m declaring my eligibility for it. Fortunately you stay eligible for two years after your first SF/F publication, so 2009 books still qualify.

Yes: I was eligible for it last year too, and I wasn’t nominated. This may be because nobody thought I was the best new writer. But: it could also be because people didn’t realize I was eligible. I’m not sure which. So let’s find out!

Personally I’m really hoping it’s that second one.

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “The Campbell Award: It’s Not Too Late”

Well, looks like I need to become a member of the Aussiecon Four or the Renovation 2011 before January 31.

2. Nicholas D. says:

We’re rooting for you, Lev! At the (certain) risk of coming across as a gushing fanboy, and to reiterate past gushings, THE MAGICIANS was one of – if not THE – best urban fantasy novels published in the last three decades. Your blend of modern dialogue, fresh conceits, crass prose, but classic themes and crisp, original characters was amazing and unlike anyone else writing today. I’m eagerly looking forward to The Magician King!

Best,

Nicholas

3. dennitzio says:

Waitaminit … I fully recognize your geniousnessness, Lev, and maybe I’m misunderstandifiyng the concept, but doesn’t having had one or maybe two books ~before~ Magicians kinda rule out the whole “new” thing?

They should really make this an online voting thing, then you could use the resources at your disposal, followers on twitter :)

@dennitzio SO YOU MIGHT THINK [hercule poirot voice again]! But. Since my first two books weren’t science fiction or fantasy, they don’t count.

6. dennitzio says:

Oho, I didn’t count on the whole not counting thing! Curses!

7. erisian23 says:

who needs the campbell award.. people in oregon love ya :)

scroll down to Kara.. you are her top 2010 staff pick.. powells employees are considered bookish gods around these parts, so that means something important!

and though my lowly blog means nothing in the greater scope..

So suck it campbell award! lev FTW!

– Jason

8. AdamK says:

Look, who’s the talking bear here? Is it you? Are you the talking fucking bear? All right. So shut the fuck up.

9. You absolutely deserve it for The Magicians. When can we expect more?