Thursday, April 7th, 2011

The Magician King: This Is What the Cover Looks Like

At long last, The Magician King has a cover. It looks like this:

Like the Magicians cover, it’s the work of Didier Massard. He’s an amazing French artist who builds little scenes in his studio and photographs them. Yes, that’s a photograph of a model. If you were tiny, you could go and live in it! I encourage you to click through to the big version. The level of detail is amazing.

Ages ago — almost a year ago now — we talked where to order zithromax about which of Massard’s images would work as a cover on this blog, and a bunch of you mentioned this one as a contender. And now it’s here! The system works.

p.s. The grey stuff around the edges of the letters will be silver foil. If you were wondering.

30 comments on “The Magician King: This Is What the Cover Looks Like

1. Karen Attaway says:

It’s beautiful!

*fangirl Beatles-ish screaming*

3. lima says:

How very exciting. Looking forward to it. (I’m pretty tiny, I may attempt to live in that serene cave.)

4. Paul O'Regan says:

Will there be a different cover for the UK edition, like The Magicians had? I much preferred the US cover of that book.

I’ve seen a rough sketch of the UK cover. They’ve gone a very different way with it from the first one, and in a good way. It’s very different from the US cover, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I love it. I’ll post it here when I have a final version.

6. Lawrence says:

Didier’s work IS amazing, both in construction and his photography of the model.

That being said, I’m not sure this image makes a good book cover for that novel. It tells me nothing about what the book is about and, personally, would not entice me to pick it up from the shelf.

7. Ben says:

Looks fantastic! I can’t wait for the book to come out!

8. LizzieBelle says:

Looks great! I can’t wait to read it. πŸ™‚

9. GMinNJ says:

Very exciting, and will appeal to fans who are looking for this, as well as the casual dude walking past a display.

wow
    i literally said wow
    what a great way to start this morning πŸ™‚

11. Ebbie says:

It looks significantly darker and less idyllic than the original. Loves it.

12. Enticing and extraordinary. I can’t WAIT for this sequel!

13. K.M. Walton says:

WOW, very nice. Congratulations.

14. […] i woke up to find about Lev Grossman’s new book cover: The Magician King 2. The three new tracks off of the Big Bang special edition came out: Stupid Liar, Love Song and […]

15. […] VIA: Lev Grossman ‘s blog […]

16. Joyce says:

I can’t wait to get my hands on this. πŸ™‚

17. I really like the cover and am also looking forward to seeing the UK edition cover (as I’m British).

Do you know if the book will have the same release date in the UK as in the US? Also, if I decide to read it on my Kindle (which is how I read The Magicians), will I have to wait longer for a Kindle edition to become available?

Best of luck with the rest of the revisions! Your writing and your blog have both been an inspiration to me as I am been working on my first novel (which is currently in the hands of some “beta readers”).

18. Church says:

So, I’m guessing that this means that there’s no significant cave by the sea nor eclipse in the book? πŸ˜›

19. Beth says:

Can you share the details for the June 21 event with Neil Gaiman that you mentioned in the newsletter? It’s not posted on either of your sites.

Thanks!

20. Mario says:

I am so excited, truly looking forward to reading the next installment.

@Beth Well … I haven’t seen it announced anywhere. But it’s on the Web, so it can’t be secret, can it? http://www.92y.org/shop/event_detail.asp?productid=T-LC5AE34

22. Marilee says:

Ouch, that surge of excitement hurt my heart a little. I think this is the first time I actually let myself believe we’re going to get more of Quentin and the gang. The cover is beautiful and thought-provoking — a wonderful complement to the first.

23. Gina Nelson says:

My author friend Laura Munson has told me how exhausting it is to travel to promote a book. Yet, her handlers have had her go to a large number of places, some even on the smaller side. So I am curious, how small is too small of a town to visit ? We live by Glacier Park. Our world is divided into mountains, lakes and valleys and the towns are in between. All told, I think we must number 100,000 loyal souls.

24. […] significant change. And then a magic globe shatters his office window: this sets things up for the sequel, but doesn’t feel like an organic development. It’s a little like Doc Brown’s […]

25. […] the Viking catalog: Lev Grossman’s “The Magician King.”Β  Nobody talk to me, or call me, or email or text or send a carrier pigeon for two days when this […]

26. Robertha White says:

Mr. Grossman,

I was introduced to and just finished reading The Magicians last week. I loved it. As a hardcore C.S Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and J.K. Rowling fan (never mind I am long past 16 years old) I really appreciated how innovative you were in the narrative of the book. As a fellow journalist, hats off to you sir, The Magicians is a great piece of fiction, well written with snappy dialogue. I also have to thank you because before The Magicians I had no idea who Christopher Plover was or about the Fillory books, I am now trying to get them to read. I do not know how, as a voracious consumer of all things fictional I missed these books before now. I also like the explanations you propose in your book for the real life controversy that surrounded both the author and the children who reportedly inspired his fictional works. I am very, very excited about the next book and I am so pleased you chose that image by Didier Massard. I went to his website and that was the image that really spoke to me. I also loved La Marais but I thought for the purpose of showing progression that La Grotte was the best option. Plus, it is just a stunning image.

Cheers, Excited reader and newly minted fan, Robertha White-Morgan.

27. RocΓ­o says:

Gee!! I need that book right now! I guess I have to wait for Chistmass to have it. I like to read The Magicians again but I can’t because I have to read the unuseless lectures from the School… By the way, sorry if I wrote horrible, I actually speak spanish.

28. Ash&Matt says:

hello Lev Grossman. My name is matt doyle. and her name is Ashley… I must say.. The magicians is an epicness that i can not describe, and something i have felt before it came out! AWESOME!.. anyway, i am 24. and will read the next. and the next… in that order. other than those statements, i hope this message reaches you well, just as “the magicians” message reached us as well… And we appreciate and respect your flow of what is (natural).
    With Care,
    Ash & Matt

29. Kaden says:

Love this series! I loved this book! But why does the cover show a full eclipse of the sun? I know that Fillory has an eclipse once every day as the book mentions. But Isn’t Fillory’s moon crescent shaped?