Tuesday, August 9th, 2011

The Number One Jam of the Summer: The Magicians Theme Song

The Magician King is officially out today.

I think “tumult of emotion” is the appropriate cliché for how I feel right now.

But that shall not distract us from the task at hand. A bunch of things are going to get announced here over the next few days, but of that bunch this is probably the thing I am most excited about. I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN.

I’ll begin in 1997. That’s when I first got into Nerf Herder, the world’s premier power-pop nerd-rock outfit. Their specialty is setting the woes and joys of the nerdy life to melodies that are just pure pop bliss — “Mr. Spock” is a favorite of mine. They’re also famous for having done the theme song to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but let me tell you, their catalogue runs deep. These guys got me through some rough periods.

I’ve never met their frontman, Parry Gripp, but I’ve interviewed him a couple of times over the years, so I have his e-mail zithromax online bestellen zonder recept address, and I sent him a copy of The Magicians when it came out. A few months ago — it was in April — I e-mailed him and asked him if he’d do a theme song for The Magician King, which at that point I was almost done writing.

He said yes. I will never know exactly why, but he said yes.

I’ve spent most of the time between then and now just staring at my Gmail waiting for the song to arrive.

Parry sent through the rough mix last week. I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but whatever I expected was completely blown away and destroyed by the real thing. It’s just so damn cool. I have listened to this song about 90,000 times since then.

Now you can listen to it too:

And unless I’ve scrod up the HTML, you should be able to download it here:

I Wanna Be a Magician

14 comments on “The Number One Jam of the Summer: The Magicians Theme Song

1. Church says:

Is that spoilers in those slides/pics/whatever?

Related: My B&N sucks.

2. I cannot express the envy I have for your life, sir.

3. Little My says:

Cool song, but I find myself loving that artwork; will those slides be available as posters in some online Magicians shoppe? I for one would get such a poster. Congratulations on being official with Magician King!

4. amybillingham says:

the graphics in the video are the Fillory postcards from the Magicians website, here: http://www.themagiciansbook.com/#main

Little My, i agree!
    i am crossing my fingers that they will eventually be available as posters or cards or in some sort of printed form.

Church—
    yeah, they are ever-so-slightly spoiler-y, if you think about them too much.
    roughly on par with the map or jacket copy, in my opinion.

book, song, graphics… all SO SO GOOD. : )

nice
    congratulations are in due order

6. K.M. Walton says:

No wonder you’ve listened to the song 90,000 times. It’s freaking awesome.

I shall share the link on twitter.

7. David Olsen says:

Great song, dude!

Anyway, I just finished reading “The Magician King” about an hour ago. Short review: loved it! I look forward to seeing you in Brookline tomorrow.

8. Tservo says:

Hey Lev!
    Am in the middle of “The Magician King” and am truly enjoying it.
    I like the reference to ‘hedge witches’ – a term I first read in Diana Wynn-Jones.
    She also used ‘hedge wizards’ BTW.
    I do wonder if you ever read her ‘Christomanci’ series, or any of her other books?

She’s YA fantasy, but not very popular on this side of the pond
    Josh talking about the worlds he visited had me thinking of some of her books, especially the Christomanci, who is a sort of a justice of magic for the 12 worlds.

Cheers!

9. fine says:

like that dude above the person above me i just finished and loved the magician king. one thing though, it sort of seemed like a bridge or interlude rather than a vital part of the story. ah well, it was still very satisfying. now its back to waiting for the next installment.(There will be one right?.. right?)

10. Caleb says:

Lev,

Nerf Herder is fantastic, you hear Pantera Fans in Love one time and they’ve got you for life. Getting them to record a theme to your book is nothing short of rad. However, I feel compelled to tell you that the only music one should listen to while reading either of the books is Beach House’s Teen Dream. It’s like they wrote it as a soundtrack. When I get really into a book (which I have done with both Brakebills books) I have to find the correct music to listen to while reading it. Not sure what I expect you to do with that information, but there you go.

11. Katie conrad says:

I loved the song. I got chills 🙂 Congratulations!

If I drove over to see your “In Conversation with Franzen” in Austin on October 13, is there any chance you’d be able to sign stuff afterward, or is it a talk and leave kind of deal? Or maybe you know nothing about the schedule of this. Hm.

PS. Loving The Magician King thus far. I just finished the first quarter, and now Quentin is outside his parents house, and I really hope for some awkward parent/child conversations of the stuff you rarely see in fantasy novels.

13. […] at work on planet earth, one is the force of LIGHT or good and one is the force of DARK or bad this is a good resource. Star Souls of LIGHT contain Moses, Buddha, Isaiah, Daniel, Joseph and Jesus they taught love of […]