– Hark! A Vagrant
– The “Guardians of Sunshine” episode of Adventure Time. Also: all other episodes of Adventure Time, which I didn’t know existed until my friend Zack told me about it a couple of days ago
– Room service
– Twitter (note: Twitter is also driving me insane. Call it a wash.)
– “Raw Sugar” by Metric
– “The Calamity Song,” by The Decemberists
– Working out. Listen, I know, “working out” isn’t a very “me” thing. And it is appallingly painful. I don’t actually “enjoy” it. But Neil does it! And an engineer friend once told me, look, your brain runs off the rest of your body, and if you don’t exercise you’re just hosing your brain. That stayed with me. I know what a hosed brain looks like. My dad has Alzheimer’s. I ain’t going out like that. Well realistically there’s a fair chance that I am. But I’m going to put it off as long as possible.
– Scrabble for the iPhone
– Grim Jogger, ditto
– Not drinking. Have you heard about this? I’m trying to skip drinking one night in three. Well, four. OK let’s go one in five. I’ll get back to you.
– Q&A. When I do an event it happens in three parts. I talk. Then I read. Then you guys ask me questions. You would think this would get old, especially since I’m doing three or four interviews a day anyway on top of it, but it never does. It’s the best part. Like, by far.
– P.G. Wodehouse, Right Ho, Jeeves! etc. 1930′s-era comic novels about an aristocrat who is always wrong and his butler who is always right. The BBC made it into a TV show starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, and they nailed a lot of what was good about it, but you really can’t beat the novels, which are in their own way weirdly profound tributes to human indomitability. And drinking, he’s very good on drinking.
Portland tonight, Seattle tomorrow. Come by!