Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

Canada, a Concept Album, Book Court, Other Things Starting with C

This blog post is lacking in any of the Aristotelian unities, but I’m just going to have at it anyway. Take that, Aristotle.

— Here’s an interesting thing. You can send a postcard from Fillory at this website. Even if you’re not actually in Fillory. This may qualify as mail fraud, I’m not sure. At any rate the stamps are gorgeous.

— I’m reading tomorrow night — that’s Thursday night, Sept. 8 — at KGB alongside two fantastically distinguished writers, Lily Tuck (who won the National Book Award for The News from Paraguay) and Francisco Goldman. What were they thinking? I’ll ask them.

— I’ve got more readings in the works: in the immediate future there’s one at Newtonville Books in Newton, MA on Sept. 15 with Sven Birkerts, and one at BookCourt in Brooklyn on Sept. 28 with a player to be named zithromax online with mastercard later. Two fantastic bookstores.

— Still more readings: I’ll be touring Canada in October. I’ll be at the Calgary WordFest, which starts October 11th, then I’ll be at the Vancouver Writers Festival, which starts October 18th. Then I’ll be at the Toronto International Festival of Authors starting October 25th.

— Somewhere in there I’ll also be appearing in Austin, TX twice. Texas is not in Canada, though.

— Finally, if you want to have your brain melted a bit, check this out. A new album by a band called Fiction that is — what? Inspired by? Let’s just say it’s not unrelated to The Magicians. And here’s what else: it’s pretty damn good.

Actually it’s kind of amazing.

15 comments on “Canada, a Concept Album, Book Court, Other Things Starting with C

nice! can i be your assistant so i can go to all the literary things? i promise to work like im working for anna wintour.
    i like the guy that mastered their album, so ill probably like the album

Yay, I might be able to catch you in Austin then.

3. M.E. Anders says:

Too bad I don’t live near Texas. If you’re coming towards Chicago, let us know. 🙂

4. Colin Fraizer says:

What a cool marketing idea! You’re going on a tour of some mythical wintry land calked “Canada” where everyone is polite and instead of welters everyone is obsessed with a made-up sport called “hockey”?

5. Scott says:

Finally, a NYC event that I know of far enough in advance to attend.

6. Tony says:

Calendar says “Tuesday September 15th” (which doesn’t happen until 2015)… is that “Tuesday September 13th” or “Thursday September 15th”?

7. Heather Head says:

For too long we’ve lived under the tyranny of Aristotelian rule. We’ve longed for a hero to head the revolt, and lead us all to freedom. What you have done here will echo through the ages, and all will speak your name in reverence.

And next time you post a random list of things please include the date that you will be signing in Charlotte, k?

@Tony Gah.

@heather K!

9. Jason says:

Book tour is cool but I can’t buy the book in Canada on my Kindle yet…

10. Andy says:

I hope you enjoy the Vancouver Writer’s Festival — it’s a great event. Vancouver’s my hometown, tho’ I live in NZ now — if you haven’t been there before, I’m sure you will have a great time. And thanks for the “Fiction” recommendation: it’s excellent.

11. alice says:

I began reading The Magicians this morning (The Magician King is on order), and will persevere. I did come to a temporary halt on reading the words “Inuit reservation in Saskatchewan”.
    I’m not sure if you were being facetious or are merely ignorant. Possibly someone on your Canadian tour will point out the three errors in that little phrase.
    I believe the word “in” is used correctly.
    Shana Tova.

It’s a stupid mistake. Supposed to be fixed in later printings. I should double-check though.

13. Tempestblownj says:

Lev, that particular typo isn’t fixed. Downloaded today 🙂

14. James Benoit says:

It’s 2015, I also found the “Inuit reservation in Saskatchewan” to still be in the book. A download from the library.

15. JT says:

2016, and “Inuit reservation in Saskatchewan” is still there. Just downloaded from Amazon this afternoon. It’s not the end of the world, but it would strike any Canadian reader as less plausible than the world of Fillory.