Monday, February 20th, 2012

It’s Business Time

All right. The period of mourning for the TV show is now over.

No wait! Just a little bit more mourning — there. Done.

Hang on, now I have to mourn my not getting a Nebula nomination. OK, now I’m done.

It’s Monday morning, and I’m wearing my special fancy writing slippers — black with golden fox-heads embroidered on them. I was going to try to find a picture of them online, but there doesn’t seem to be one. Even the manufacturer appears to have discontinued them. Or maybe mine are the only pair ever made, and they have magic powers.

Though probably it’s that first one.

I’m wearing them because I’ve taken a leave of absence from Time.¬†I’ve spent the past couple of months outlining the new book, and taking a tentative cut at the early chapters. Now it’s time to lay down some prose. In bulk. Bulk prose.

So I’m not going to be off the grid for the next couple of weeks, exactly, but I won’t really be on it either. I’ll be sort of next to the grid. I can see the grid from where I am. But this is the part of the process where the book really happens, so I have to get focused.

I feel a lot of pressure, because I don’t have a ton of free time to write my books, and when I get some I have to seriously use it.¬†Pressure is good for me though. In school I was a good test-taker — I was one of those annoying people who always kind of sucked along during the semester but then somehow came out of it with a decent grade, because suddenly during the test I woke up and started paying attention.

So it’s test time. Time to wake up. Smell the coffee.

God I need some coffee.

11 comments on “It’s Business Time

Exciting. I need some pressure too.

Don’t worry about the Nebula award. In 10 years we’ll all be fighting off nuclear holocaust, or the flu pandemic, or Iran or China or something. But before that happens, I really want to read this 3rd book.

2. Heather Head says:

And of course now we’re all wondering why you need a manufacturer photo. Can’t you just take a picture of your own slippers and post them to your blog?

Or maybe you can’t take a picture because the slippers don’t really exist except in your mind. Which doesn’t mean they’re not REAL exactly, but it does make picture-taking more complicated.

Or maybe they’re invisible? Or imbued with magical powers that cause them to scurry away and hide under the bed when they detect picture-taking activity in the vicinity?

Or possibly you’re too right-brained to think about little logistical issues like having a camera and your slippers in the same room at the same time and then navigating the complicated steps between achieving that goal and actually getting the pictures onto the Internet.

In any event, I’m definitely thinking I need a pair. Too bad the manufacturer discontinued them.

3. Little My says:

I just googled images for “fox slippers” and was startled by the results. Please tell me yours are not CROCHETED slippers! There are these other fox head slippers that show up that look kind of faux-posh, but not nearly comfy enough for novel-writing. For that you might need the Darth-Vader-head slippers that showed up in row 10.

4. Lenina Brewski says:

Well, there goes the last remaining reason for me to bother picking up Time. . .

5. Gillian says:

When I read the Nebula nominees, it was kind of like when I read the Oscar nominees. But instead of thinking, “So where’s Gosling for Drive, & Tilda for We Need To Talk About Kevin?” I thought, “So where’s George R.R. Martin, or Lev Grossman?” I guess it’s just that kind of year…

6. Trevor Polcyn says:

Good to hear you’re past the mourning. The prospect of the show happening was epic. But perhaps once the trilogy is finished, there will be a larger push to take the world of Fillory to the big screen, television (or my personal suggestion of a graphic novel).

Btw, I got The Magicians for my GF’s Kindle. She’s super excited to get started reading! As am I!

7. Corey W. says:

Best of luck, Lev!

I always appreciate learning people’s learning/writing/productivity habits–it’s good to know that we all reach the finish in our own way. (And I’m oddly comforted by the fact that one of my favorite contemporary authors has a similar brand of accomplished procrastination as I.)

8. Paula Jameson says:

“The Adjustment Bureau”? Did they actually see the movie? Agree with Gillian, it is THAT kind of year.

9. dennitzio says:

Maybe your slippers are hiding with my bathrobe. Damn, I want that bathrobe.

10. Kernow says:

Can’t fool us Lev – truly magical slippers are made out of actual fox heads and fetch themselves on command. I can picture Martin Chatwin wearing a pair of extra bitey ones.

I’ll be visiting the South Bank in London tomorrow – is Waterloo Bridge the best bet for the Thames dragon if I feel like popping in?

11. […] Beyond Reality: Lev, I know you recently put the hammer down and even took leave from Time Magazine to focus on writing the third Magicians book, so I […]