Friday, May 25th, 2012

Various

Usually I prefer to wait to blog till I actually have, you know, something to say, rather than just moving pre-existing facts around. But I’ve had so many deadlines this week I barely had enough thoughts to fill the stuff I got paid to write. All that’s left over is a thin, viscous residue. But I present it to you here.

First, I’m embedding below the playlist of submissions so far to the Magician King Song Contest. There’s some astounding performances in here, truly astounding. I’ll feel so bad when they totally lose to my awesome cellistical stylings.

But there’s still the long weekend to enter! You’re good up through midnight, May 28. Details here.

By saying “first,” I feel as though I’ve locked myself into a numbered list format, so: second, generic zithromax 500mg after reading this article in the New Yorker about literary fiction and genre fiction, I felt compelled to write up my thoughts on the same subject. The post went a little viral.

Third — OK, after this I’m done with the numbers — next Tuesday, the 29th, there’s a party for the paperback release of The Magician King. Come. You’re all invited. I’m going to have an on-stage chat with Ryan Britt, maybe answer a few questions and sign a few books. Then every one will be given drinks and we’ll all hang out.

Finally: I’m doing an AMA on Fantasy Reddit on the night of Wednesday, May 30. AMA stands for Ask Me Anything. Afterwards, to relax, I will have myself torn to pieces by wild dogs.

13 comments on “Various

Dude, yeah, that AMA is going to be brutal in some ways. Reddit scares me half the time. I wouldn’t want to be you, but otherwise I’m really looking forward to it. 😛

2. Heather Head says:

Your viscous dredgings are still more interesting than the full contents of most people’s brains.

Also, never fear. The Great Minecraftia Whitespire video is still on. It’s currently in post-production and will be completed as soon as we can figure out how the heck to use ANY piece of video editing software available for free online. Sometime before midnight May 28. Otherwise the children will murder me, much as I wanted to murder them when I told them for the sixteen millionth time to go left, not right, during the filming of the battle scene.

3. Heather Head says:

Update: The Great Minecraftia Whitespire video project is really, really hard to pull together and taking longer than expected. I’m sorry. I know you can’t wait.

To make it up to you, we’ve recorded additional kids-being-awesome goodness for you. Here’s Eli (age 8) and “Zombies in the Hedge Maze”: http://youtu.be/203_c6hlMEw

P.S. @Lev, is it really really annoying that we keep tagging these “making of” videos with the magiciankingsong tag, or only mildly annoying? If the latter, let us know how to be more annoying. Or tell us to stop. Either way.

P.P.S. There are more coming. So, you know, keep that in mind when answering the P.S.

Tag away!

You’ve actually inspired me to put Lily (8) onto Minecraft. I was waiting … I don’t know what I was waiting for. But the wait is over. She’s in.

5. Heather Head says:

That is spectacular. My boys want her to come help them build the rest of Fillory on their multi-player server. 🙂

6. Heather Head says:

It’s done! It’s really done! Our music video, full to the brim with awesomeness, is totally done. And I’m not posting it until tomorrow so you’ll just have to wait.

In the meantime, I’ll torture you with two more “making of” videos. Because half a dozen clearly is not enough.

Me, talking about my supremely important contribution to the project and demonstrating the depths of my technical expertise: http://youtu.be/D3xNq9cqegc

Technical Hero Carey, wishing I would turn off the camera and leave him alone: http://youtu.be/wiOBjxaiMds

That’s it. Tomorrow I’ll post the actual video and stop hogging your comment threads.

7. Steven (Fiction) says:

Super tempted to come to the release event but I think taking a 10-month-old on my first trip to NYC for a party would be sorta nuts. My wife works overnight that night…

8. Heather Head says:

Drum. Roll. Please. After all the bru-ha-ha and excessive pre-release video making, the real thing is finally here.

The final Head Family cover version for The Magician King Song, tentatively and variously titled “The Four Thrones of Castle Whitespire: Minecraftia Edition,” is now live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2pqh6wY6Og

BRAVO! Magnificent. I am in awe.

10. amybillingham says:

the is so much awesomeness happening with this contest… i haven’t had a chance to leave happy-making comments on all the entries yet, but i was impressed by the variety and creativity!

i was also a bit intimidated, but as @wilw likes to say, i got excited and made something! and nothing was going to stop me!

i even finished with more than 2 hours before the deadline! it could have been 2 hours BETTER. oh well.

I Wanna be a Musician

It’s beautiful. It’s like every frame is a little Cornell box.

@Heather, can I come and live inside your family? Contingent on me being allowed to leave whenever there is any fighting.

13. @Lev
    maybe i was unconsciously channelling Cornell; i am definitely an admirer of his work… so that is an awesome compliment. thank you!!!

@Heather
    if that is home-schooling, sign me up! i’m with Jaime; you have an awesome family. great job on the video!