Friday, June 15th, 2012

Four Days in San Francisco

Tomorrow morning I’m going to San Francisco. I’ll be there for four days. Probably that was already clear.

It’s a bit weird that my publisher booked me into one city for four days. Usually tours are a-city-a-day, town to town, up and down the dial. We’re challenging the conventional wisdom on this one!

It goes like this. Saturday I’m reading as part of the SF in SF series. Draggily enough my reading in Palo Alto on Sunday got cancelled, but happily enough I’ll read at A Great Good Place for Books in Oakland at 3:00 instead. Then on Tuesday I’m at Rakestraw buy zithromax at walgreens Books at noon and then at Books Inc. at the Castro that night.

I am posting this post, even though it’s virtually identical to my last post, because I’m really hoping people will come to the events. I read in Massachusetts on Tuesday and it was standing-room-only. We talked. We laughed. We played Scrabble. I read from the new book. I gave stuff away. Somebody brought me ice cream. It was incredibly energizing.

I loved it. I want to do it all over again. But I can’t do it without you.

Well, I could, but it wouldn’t anywhere near as fun.

16 comments on “Four Days in San Francisco

number one thing that i wanna do as an author is to go on a tour! ….i want to feel like a rock star…lalalala

2. Jessica says:

I’m so glad Newton went well. I was sad I couldn’t go. These kids, I tell you, always needing supervision and feeding and whatnot.

3. Karen Attaway says:

Oh my, I almost busted a gut with the WKRP theme song. That brings back memories and reminds me that I am no longer a spring chicken. Have fun in San Fran.

4. Heather Head says:

Come to Charlotte. Or anywhere within an hour’s drive of Charlotte. I will be there so I can razz you in person. San Francisco’s just a bit of a drive for me…

5. Little My says:

Many (most?) of the references here go right past me, but I knew the ‘KRP theme song without clicking that link. One of the regular quotes in our house when I was a teenager (although I can’t remember what the appropriate trigger was) was “SOAP YOU CAN SEE THROUGH!” which I think is a pretty obscure one. Have a great time in San Francisco.

6. “I loved it. I want to do it all over again. But I can’t do it with you.”

I don’t want to be /that/ guy, but did you mean “with*out* you?”

“Well, I could, but it wouldn’t anywhere near as fun.”

Sigh. I guess I am /that/ guy. Did you mean “it wouldn’t *be* anywhere near as fun?”

😀

Geez, Lev, you just kinda flaked out on us at the end there.

Thanks. God I hate typos.

9. Margaret says:

Aaauuuuggghhhh! I can’t believe I missed you this afternoon in Oakland! Damn the SF Chronicle for only showing your Books Inc appearance on Tuesday. Maybe I will be able to get to Danville. I loved The Magicians and The Magician King so very much.

10. David says:

any news on the magicians tv show/movie idea. have you given any thought to going to HBO seeing as they have game of thrones and appreciate a good fantasy book. or maybe showtime?

11. Danielle says:

I’ll be there with baby in tow! I figured this was as close as you would come to Monterey for awhile. 😉

12. Karen says:

I need to boycott SF because they get you for 4 days, and SoCal gets zip.

13. Lauren says:

Thank you, Lev. I saw you in Rakestraw…and although i was thinking of something clever to say to you as you signed my book, the opposite came out: an anecdote about half-open moving boxes and my late evening efforts to find my copy of your books. Anyway…today is my birthday and I’m so glad that I was able to spend my lunch break at your reading.

14. pk says:

I was very excited to see that you will be reading in San Francisco tonight. I am planning to be there and I hope to ask you one of the following questions if there is a Q&A. I know these are too many to ask in person, so I thought I would email you in case you decide you want to address them. Of course, I am not even sure if you’ll see this email before the reading tonight.

1. Serious question: Quentin and Julia both have what could be described as depression, though of different types and severity. In various places throughout The Magicians and The Magician King you (or your narrator) attribute Quentin’s depression different causes. He perks up when he’s admitted to Brakebills, but falls back into ennui after graduation, but has another sort of awakening on finding Fillory, but even in Fillory develops some anhedonia after being a king for a long time. In other places, you seem to suggest that his depression is due to a lack of purpose in life, or biochemical in nature, or related to the benign neglect of his parents. Of course, these various causes are not mutually exclusive, but I am interested in how you see them as being related or unrelated, and what you think Quentin’s long-term prognosis is.

Relatedly, why is there no magical help for Pouncy’s depression? Would divine intervention have actually helped him?

2. Serious question: will we find out more about Eliot and his past? There is that brief scene in the observatory in the first book, which Quentin thinks on briefly, but then that’s all. Are there no other gay students at Brakebills, or is Eliot only interested in being degraded in a sexual role-play situation by a straight (or ostensibly straight) man? Is this kink a source of his self-loathing, or is that related to his rejection by his family? Was it his father who broke his jaw? Will there be a serious romantic interest for Eliot before the end of the series?

3. Stupid question: why didn’t Quentin use magic to change his clothes when he and Julia were ejected from Fillory into the “real world”?

4. Sort-of stupid question: will The Magician’s Land have more about the nature of magic and its importance in Fillory? Or about the nature and creation of the Neitherlands?

5. Who is the little girl who makes the passports??? I know you probably won’t say outright, but any clues are appreciated!

6. Are you going to reveal whatever the sinister background of Brakebills’ headmaster is?

7. Why doesn’t the “magical establishment” know about the “safe houses” and their hedge witches and wizards? That seems like a huge oversight. How many “Julias” could be out there?

I hope you are enjoying San Francisco and have had the chance to get a Mission style burrito. (If not, there are some good places in the Castro–I recommend La Tortilla on Castro Street or El Castillito on Church near the Safeway).

15. Drew says:

I have to say: Come back to New York. I realize you invariably will, but invariably you know what I mean. Or come to New Jersey, even. If I can commute, so can you! (I’m sorry!)

I have a question prepared. I am prepared, indeed.

16. Luigi says:

I live only 5 mins away from rakestraw and I only just saw this post now. Real bummer. But either way, I hope you enjoyed your time in SF and the Bay Area.