Random Fan Fiction Day! Plus: Events

Every day should be random fan fiction day! And in some cosmic sense, it is.

I’ve been working pretty consistently for the past month, to the point where I haven’t wanted to break the flow long enough to write a blog post. And I don’t even want to break it now. So I’m just throwing this up hastily.

First: I’ve got a couple of events coming up next week. On October 29th I’ll be appearing in conversation with the incredible Catherynne Valente, author of some of the greatest novels published this millennium, including The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. That’s at Community Bookstore in Brooklyn. Then on October 30 I’ll be taking part in a humiliating public spelling bee along with a bunch of literary celebrities to benefit the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses.

Second: the fan fiction part. Return visitors to this blog may remember the last time I did this. This time the fandom in question is How to Train Your Dragon, a movie that my daughter Lily has devoted eight hours of her short life to watching four times. And maybe more, without my knowledge. Plus numberless viewings of that Christmas-themed short.

Hence this story. I know the series was originally a book, but Lily prefers the movie, so this is set in the movie-continuity (it’s significantly different). It deals with the early life of Toothless the Night Fury, before he met Hiccup.

I cannot stress enough that this is middle-grade stuff. If you cannot draw two intersecting circles on a piece of paper, and label one “8-year-olds” and the other “insane How to Train Your Dragon fans,” and place a dot in the intersection that represents you or someone you love, you will almost certainly have no interest in this story.

That said, here it is, in the universally beloved Microsoft Word format: “Toothless and the Missing Nightmare.”

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Random Fan Fiction Day! Plus: Events”

It’s great to hear from you. I took a break myself this month and wrote Star Trek fan fiction. November wiil be NaNo madness…

2. Little My says:

“[] Circumnavigated [etc.]” is a beautifully written, totally absorbing fairy tale. The word “poignant” comes to mind, too. I may have liked it more than my kids did. Not sure if that’s a plus or a minus.

3. raccoon says:

what’s your game plan for winning this bee, man? i think you should 1) turn off your spellcheck and 2) start drinking shots of whiskey with a raw egg in it. and maybe some jogging?

The very first year they ran that damn spelling bee — like 7 years ago — I actually won it (on “autochthonous” no less). But then I’ve punked out early every year since. So I definitely need to change tactics.

You should blog more. We used to have something here. Stop having kids!

I miss it. Something had to give, but eventually it will un-give.

I put my fist in the air just now when The Magicians got a mention in the latest Vlogbrothers.

Screw the New York Times man. I will have arrived the day I get mentioned in a Vlogbrothers. (Which is why when my favorite books get mentioned, yeah.)

9. Eli Head says:

I’m Heather Head’s son. I am 8, and I LOVE How to Train Your Dragon. And that’s a nice story that you wrote.

I have a blog called Evil Weevil and I’m making my own fantasy world, and my mom thinks you might want to come on and help me make it by commenting, and I think you would be able to create an awesome creature in my world.

10. Sleep-deprived dad of newborn, Ivy-league grad, bestselling author, at a spelling bee. Yep, sounds like a recipe for humiliation!

Tip: P – o – t – a – t – o, no “e”. Now you’re one up on Dan Quayle.

11. Heather Head says:

Lev–A friend just posted this on Facebook and I had to share:

It’s the clock tree! Only, I don’t think the artist even KNOWS it’s the clock tree. Evidently, your work has entered the collective unconscious of our culture and is working its way out through the pores of our nation’s artists.