Saturday, October 5th, 2013

[redacted]

So much of what I’m working on at the moment is either semi- or fully secret that I just don’t have much to talk to you about right now. Some of it has to do with The Magician’s Land, some of it’s Magicians-related, some of it’s all-new. This is has been a time-biding year, but I’m hopeful that next year I’ll have some interesting announcements.

But meanwhile it’s awkward. The silences. There’s a new coldness between us. I know you feel it too.

This -- this is the coldness between us. Brrrr.

At least I can brief you on a few upcoming events. New York Comic-Con is next weekend, which I haven’t been to for a few years, maybe partly because the first time I went was in 2009, a couple of months before The Magicians came out, and not only did nobody have any idea who I was, my signing was right next to Lou Ferrigno’s. Most of the people in my line were just there so they could try to cut into his line.

But I’m going back this year. On Friday at 1:30 I’ll be talking with B.J. Novak about his new book One More Thing, and on Saturday I’ll be on a panel called Ode to Nerds, which I don’t really know what that means, but given the personnel I’m pretty sure it’ll be interesting.

On October 29 I’ll be competing in a charity spelling bee to benefit the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses. I actually used to be a pretty good speller, and in fact the first year they held this particular event, which I think was maybe 2004, I won it. Then the next couple of years I bombed out almost instantly. Then I became too ashamed to even show up.

But now I’m making my triumphant return. You can be pretty sure I will once again bomb out instantly.

Lastly, on November 9 I’ll be in Charleston for Yallfest, which has a really amazing list of authors. If you’re anywhere near Charleston’s gravity well you should consider coming out.

(Yes, it’s a young adult books festival. Am I a young adult author? Hell if I know. Plenty of young adults read me, so QED?)

19 comments on “[redacted]

While you’re explaining why you’re in a young adult conference, could you explain what makes young adult unique and necessary as a genre? Kthxbye.

2. Ian says:

Well I know I would’ve loved reading *The Magicians* as a young adult, since it’s about college students. That’s as mysterious and otherwordly as Narnia right there.

Jaimie: but yea I agree… it’s not really a genre, and I’m not sure anyone claims it is, it’s more of a marketing category. And indeed YALLFest looks less fannish and more trade show.

3. Elis says:

Lev Grossman, heve you ever thought about going to a literary event in Brazil? Ok, probably your answer is “no”, mainly because Brazilian people is not known around the world as “avid readers”. On the contrarie. However, every year an event called “Bienal do Livro” take place in a different city of the country. This year it is taking place in Rio. Last year it was here in São Paulo. They receive national and international writers and publishers. I was just thinking if you could attend this event some year. I know that it is a very complicated request, that you are a busy man and that it is not easy to plan a international trip, but it never hurts to try ^^.
    Adding: I’m sorry for my english mistakes. I’m not fluent in this idiom.

@Elis It’s a lovely idea. I’ve never been to Brazil. If my schedule allowed it (and if I were invited) I would probably go.

5. Kevin says:

I believe the correct phrase is “QED, bitches”.

6. Kyle Lee says:

Hi, Mr. Grossman:

Just wondering when you think “The Magician’s Land” might hit the shelves… I know you recently finished a final draft, but I don’t know enough about the editing and publishing process to predict a timeline.

I am a big fan of the first two books, so I need to mark my calendar!

Thanks,

Kyle
    Chicago, IL

7. Heather Head says:

Thank GAWD you’re finally coming down this way. I’ll be at YALLfest, yay! You can introduce me to agents… (cough cough)… and maybe bring me a book (ahem cough)… (Kidding. Sort of.) Seriously, though, I do hope I’ll see you there. Glad you’re updating too, even if you think you have nothing to say.

^^^^^ jealous.

@Kyle, ETA for Magician’s Land is currently August 2014

@Heather see you there!

11. Sara says:

My excitement level for Magician’s Land is currently at 145%

12. Michael says:

I just finished The Magicians and Magician King. These are best books I’ve read all year. Where did you get the information on “The Golden ‘fucking’ Goat”. I loved it and the little details like this all through your books.

I cannot wait for your next book in the series. Thanks so much for writing them!

13. Elliot Pothead says:

“…some of it’s Magicians-related…”
    Does this mean a (dare i dream) TV SHOW/MOVIE?!?!

14. Sarah C says:

Lev, do not tease with that mountain range from Antarctica. I will theorize the crap out of that.

Eagerly awaiting The Magician’s Land. Cheers!

15. Brian s says:

I am praying that the magicians series will be a movie or show. It is by far my favorite book I have ever read. These are the first books I’ve ever read twice. Loved codex also.

nice
    im right above north carolina!
    wow USA!

17. Oh man, August 2014 for book 3? Man I hate the publishing cycle. Looking forward to it. I am personally responsible for directing at least a dozen new fans of yours toward the first 2. Need more.

Oh my God, you’re doing a pep talk! Whaaaaaaaaaaat!

19. Kevin says:

And I hit Refresh every day like a rat hitting a feeder bar…