Friday, March 21st, 2014

Our Revels Now

On Monday I turned in The Magician’s Land, well and truly and for good. After they copy-edit your book you get one last shot at it: they print out the typeset pages, and you can mark them up in red pencil. It’s like your last vacation with somebody you really like but who you know is about to break up with you.

This is just a painting by my favorite artist, Caspar David Friedrich. I used to look it a lot when I felt like I was losing my way with my writing

I had two weeks of that, and by the end those pages were reduced to a tattered bundle of raggy, crumpled paper covered in red. But I made my last marks and handed them over, almost 10 years after I started the original Word doc in which I wrote The Magicians. I still have the file — it’s called  “The demon in the mirror was smo.”  (It’s supposed to go on: “-king a cigarette” but for some zithromax buy online india reason the Finder cuts it off; the name refers to a scene that ended up going nowhere.) It shows a creation date of June 19, 2004.

It’s a pretty emotional moment for me. Like most big moments in life it had no soundtrack. There wasn’t much drama. I handed a plastic envelope with the pages in it to my editor’s assistant, in the lobby of the Penguin building, then hit the subway because I was late for an event. But in my head it was a big moment.

And that’s my news. Oh, and I have an event Monday night in Manhattan. I’ll be reading something autobiographical and embarrassing. So there’s that.

And if you’re currently enrolled in a creative writing graduate program, think about submitting your work to this. I’m judging this year.

10 comments on “Our Revels Now

1. Christian says:

Yay, I just saw that you can already preorder it on Amazon. I of course did that because somehow my primate brain thinks that this will make August come early. Can’t wait.

Oh and it’s almost €20 so you’d better get rich from this 😉

2. Dennitzio says:

I hope you post the video of you singing “Let It Go” in the Penguin lobby!

I want to write something for that

but all I’ve written lately are FBI recruitment ads
    think that’ll fly?

oops! no MFA or MA i have a Masters in business/branding …

Today I finished reconciling 2013 for the company that hires me and I jumped a few times and that was the extent of that.

I feel the sadness, the emptiness in your prose.

Thanks for writing books I want to read. There are just too many books I don’t want to read.

6. Heather Head says:

I have many questions about life: Why are we here, what is the meaning, why is there so much pain and suffering? But chief among them is: Why no soundtrack??

Seriously, it’s a letdown.

When I finished my first draft of my first manuscript, it took me several days to realize that I had just done that. And then, somehow, it seemed insignificant. No fanfare.

So I mostly make my own fanfare, consisting primarily of terrible dance moves set to badly belted-out renditions of “What Does the Fox Say?” (Uh ding ding ding ding uh ding ding ding).

(Kids in the house, you know.)

Soooo… maybe try it? Then make a recording and post it. We won’t laugh. Out loud. Where you can hear us.

7. Heather Head says:

P.S. Whoops. I forgot to say congrats. CONGRATS. I’m super excited for you. Can’t wait to see it.

8. Adam says:

Awesome! Really looking forward to August.

9. Raya says:

Does it count if its a big moment for me too?
    I can’t tell you how excited I am for the Magicians King 🙂 I just ordered the Codex too.
    In a way I a glad that I never heard of you until a month ago. I am not sure I could have taken the pressure of waiting longer – I am weak.
    So sorry I can’t see you in Manhattan. Enjoy your fans 🙂
    Greeting from Bulgaria!
    Current Soundtrack?…..Space Oddity

10. Meghan says:

Hi Lev, I just had to drop by and tell you that I’m in love with your first two books in this trilogy, and can hardly wait to get my hands on the third! I am rereading The Magicians and The Magician King in preparation for the big release.
    All the best to you and congratulations on the completion of the final piece! It will no doubt be spectacular, and no doubt I will fall in love with every sentence of it as I did with the first two!