Friday, May 2nd, 2014

The Post About the Syfy Deal

And when I say the Syfy deal I mean this.

Llywod, heart of the thriving Welsh film industry

This is going to be a pretty short post, because I can’t say much about it. The important things to know are four in number.

1. This is a whole different deal from the Fox deal. The producer is the same, but everything else is different, including the writers, Sera Gamble and John McNamara. We started from scratch.

2. I’m involved in an advisory capacity. I’m not writing, but I see all the drafts.

3. I’m very, very psyched about it. We’ve been working on this since last August, and it’s just gotten better and better.

4. Most important: this is as yet a development deal, which because I’m now a Hollywood Insider I know means that Syfy is working with us on the script and generally figuring out what the show should look like, but they haven’t committed to making it yet. In fact I wasn’t going to say anything about it at all until it was greenlit, but since it’s out there I thought I should address it.

And now I have. I’ll answer questions in the comments, if I can.

Meanwhile keep sending in those videos for the trailer. They’re coming in, and they’re great, but I haven’t been deluged yet. I want to be deluged.

14 comments on “The Post About the Syfy Deal

1. Jessica says:

I would pay to have cable again after a decade of shunning it for this! Good work!

Exciting for you! Hoping for the best!

After being extremely tactful with above comment, even deleting 80% of the original, I had to laugh at the comments in the last post. You attract a certain type of fan, and since I’m in their number WE’RE AWESOME.

4. Maria Flook says:

Great news Lev! Can’t wait to see your touch on TV. xxm

5. Jamie Pierson says:

Is there anything in the oeuvres of the people developing the show that you can point to that will be indicative of the direction they’re taking this?

Congrats. I really hope it works out, and that you make buckets of money and start a media empire.

Jamie:

Sera Gamble did Supernatural, which I never got into but seems to have a healthy following. I have a good friend who is obsessed with Supernatural, and who also likes The Magicians quite a bit. I’ve seen bits and pieces of the show, and the sense of humor feels right.

John McNamara seems to have done a lot of false starts, as I haven’t heard of most of his shows and he’s only done a season with a lot of them. Or maybe he’s just jumping around. But Jericho was good. “Good for network” anyway. He’s more of an unknown…

7. Matt says:

I’m making the improbable and entertaining assumption that you’ll have Stan Lee-style cameos in every show. So who will you play, and what small line will you deliver with glee?

8. Sarah C says:

So hyped. Much hype, very hype. All the hype!

9. Christian says:

Since The Magicians is Harry Potter for grown-ups and TV needs to lure viewers in with good-looking actors, which character is Emma Watson going to play? ;)

10. Jason Febery says:

My vote is that Thomas Brodie-Sangster should play Quentin!

11. I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled I am that this is happening for you. I’ve read all of your books and can’t wait to see then come to life on the screen. It’s writers like you who bring in regular readers as well as people like myself who make time to read only when the material is so well composed and with solid plot lines.

12. Alan Harrison says:

A little sad that you didn’t get the Warehouse 13 team, they coulda done wonders with the nerdy pathos of Quentin’s early character arc. Never having seen Supernatural I have to trust that the writers you got are equally good.

13. Forest Phelps says:

I certainly hope this doesn’t come to syfy. That network needs good original programming, not a weaker retelling of harry potter with a dash of narnia and holden caulfiend. If the main character of the series is as unlikeable as the book, no one will tune in for episode 2.

14. […] has┬áconfirmed┬áthat he is involved in the SyFy series in an advisory […]