Friday, July 18th, 2014

The Magician’s Land Tour: Where You Can See Me

I’m hitting the road.

This site has an events page which is pretty up-to-date, but for the sake of thoroughness here’s a brief user’s guide to the tour, or the first leg of it anyway. I’m sure I’ll be consulting it myself in the next month to figure out where I am. The events will be as fun as I know how to make them: very informal, lots of Q&A. Come hang out.

July 19: Brooklyn. I’ll be at the Barnes & Noble in Park Slope, reading and talking and signing. This is like the pre-tour tour. I won’t have copies of The Magician’s Land yet—it’s not out till August 5—but I’ll be handing out booklets of the first chapter and the map.

July 24-26: San Diego. I’ll be at Comic-Con from Thursday to Saturday, doing events all three days, panels and signings. Saturday I’m on a real monster fantasy panel with George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie and Diana Gabaldon. Come find me if you’re there.

July 29-August 1: Orlando. When it comes to conventions I play favorites, and LeakyCon is my favorite. It’s chill, it’s authentic, it’s hilariously fun, John Green will be there, Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black … If you can get there, get there.

August 5: Brooklyn again. This is the official launch event, so if you’re going to one event in New York City, I’d say come to this one. There’ll be trivia, special guests, and a surprise or two. I’m not even making it sound as fun as it’s going to be. It’ll be funner. Come.

August 6: Manhattan. For the uptown crowd, I’ll be at the 82nd St. Barnes & Noble.

August 7: Boston. This is my hometown, and I used to live around the corner from the Brookline Booksmith, where I would read books and not buy them because I couldn’t afford to. Now I’m going to speak there.

August 11: Minneapolis. I’ll be at the Roseville Library.

August 12: Houston. Unless I’m mis-remembering, this is my first event here ever. It’s at Murder by the Book.

August 13: Los Angeles. I’m in the TV business now, so LA is now where my soul is stored. I have visitation rights. Afterwards I’ll be reading at Vroman’s in Pasadena.

August 14-15: San Francisco. I’m here for two nights, first at Rakestraw in Danville, then at Kepler’s in Menlo Park.

And then there’s a nice long break. Later this summer/fall I’ll be in Atlanta, Brooklyn several more times, Chapel Hill, Toronto, Austin, Nashville, and Santa Fe, all of which I will post about in good time. If I have failed to come to your town, it’s only because Viking didn’t send me there. I don’t get to choose! If I did I would have included Seattle and Portland. But I don’t.

See you on the other side.

14 comments on “The Magician’s Land Tour: Where You Can See Me

1. Meg says:

I understand it wasn’t your call, but– someone should let the folks at Viking know that the Midwest contains over 25% of the US’s population. Some of those people even read occasionally!

2. Lloyd says:

Welcome to Toronto when the time comes! Give us lots of notice, and we will get the word out to the masses.

3. Kate says:

If you came to Washington, DC, you would be mobbed! My book group is freaking out with joy about August 5th! Can’t WAIT!

4. Timothy says:

I can’t wait to see you at the Booksmith! What a wonderful homecoming. I’ll be the one wearing man-tights in honor of Jollyby. (Totally kidding.)

5. Ryan Strong says:

No Seattle!? I really want one of those maps! Maybe I can find one on eBay?

6. Casey says:

I’m so looking forward to seeing you in Houston. My city is constantly overlooked in favor of Austin (which I get!) and Dallas (which I don’t!).

7. lomus says:

Looking forward to seeing you in Houston!

8. Cristin says:

I have to say I was agog when I learned Portland was not on the schedule-glad to know it was out of your hands. Maybe Viking thinks Portland & Seattle are filled with so many nerds they need not do extra promotion, since we’ll buy the book anyway? Just know that our household, and everyone else in Portland I’ve roped in to your scene, is moping about it. Maybe they can send you here for the paperback release tour.

Ahhh, you’re coming to a place that is 20 minutes away from me! Houston? About. Time. I’m so excited I’m very calm.

And thus far 1/3 of the commenters are from Houston. YES. We must mob this bookstore so the publishers keep it up. Down with Austin, down with Dallas.

11. Tim Salabim says:

Safe travels, Mr. Grossman. I’ll be on a plane to Florida on 8/5 and look forward to the flight time reading. Will try not to eat the whole book in one sitting.

12. Jeff P says:

No DC is a crime. About the heaviest book reading city in America, wonderful independent bookstores like Politics and Prose that routinely get huge crowds for book events- how can Viking justify that?

13. Helen F says: