Monday, August 4th, 2014

A Few Details Related to the Launch of The Magician’s Land

One: it’s happening. Tomorrow. Tuesday. I’m excited.

Two: you can order signed copies. A lot of indie bookstores will do this for you, but if you’re in New York I’m going to recommend Greenlight, which is my local neighborhood bookstore, and they’ve been very supportive of the books. Order from them and I’ll just wander over to the store and personalize it for you.

Three: there is now such a thing as a boxed set of the Magicians trilogy. It looks like this:

Pretty!

I’ve got one sitting on my dining room table. It’s a good-looking item.

Four: don’t forget about this incredible Magicians print by Jillian Nickell.

Four: If you’re in Brooklyn, or within striking distance of it, come out to the launch event tomorrow night (Tuesday) in Fort Greene. There will be trivia, prizes, reading, signing, and (I think) wine. There will be hella special guests: Margaret Stohl, Erin Morgenstern, Lauren Oliver, Michelle Hodkin and my very own twin brother, Austin Grossman. Don’t miss it.

Or if you do miss it, you can come see me Wednesday night at the Barnes & Noble on the Upper West Side.

And if you’re in Boston, the wretched hive of villainy that spawned me, come out to Brookline! I’ll be there on Thursday night at the Brookline Booksmith.

Don’t screw me on this one, Boston. I come from you.

28 comments on “A Few Details Related to the Launch of The Magician’s Land

1. Church says:

Still sad you couldn’t make it down to DC, but since the bookstore you were last at no longer exists…

2. Adam says:

Will the launch tomorrow be at greenlight bookstore or st.josephs college ?

At St. Joseph’s.

4. Jonathan Rogers says:

Woohoo! Will see you in Houston in a week!

5. Maddie says:

We don’t have many bookstores left in Australia. I’ve been asking at Dymocks and they have no local listing for it. I want to get the trilogy (the fanciest of fancy to go along with my HP boxset), and I think I would die if I got a signed set. Is there any way I could potentially organise this? I’m going to have to source it either way~

6. Justin weaver says:

Bloody Australia. Pre- ordered my copy from booktopia – but is there any notification on due date? Nooo. Anyone would think we were a bunch of reprobate convicts at the arse end of the universe. What’s that? Oh right…
    Hoping the oz edition arrives this year :/

7. Amit Pathik says:

sucks to be in Australia. The only way to get this book is through paying Amazon hefty shipping costs. Ebook versions not available in Australia. This is why Australians pirate.

8. John Dionne says:

Just woke up and downloaded the audiobook. I love Mark Bramhall as the narrator and I ‘m so glad you have kept him through all three books. Do the Audiobook purchases go towards the bestseller list? Or should I run and purchases a hard copy so that your ego my be sated by the New York Times?

re: audiobook … I don’t know. I’ll try to find out.

re: Australia, I’m painfully aware. My wife is from Sydney.

11. I’ll be at your Boston appearance! Boston is famously too cool for things like “art” and “literature,” but I’ve heard the call. Wouldn’t miss it!

12. K. M. Walton says:

Amit and Lev, have you not heard of The Book Depository? They ship books anywhere in the world, for free. I learned about it from my sister’s in-laws who live outside of Sydney.

13. Justin Szalacha says:

Can’t wait to read The Magician’s Land. I hope you pay Chicago a visit sometime soon.

14. Drew McClain says:

The book should be here tomorrow (pre-ordered months ago, I’ll have you know). I feel unprepared. Reread The Magicians a month ago, but not The Magician King. I suppose I’ve read it enough times already to not let many details escape me, but I reread The Magicians before I read The Magician King when it came out, so I feel like I’m breaking an important ritual.

Anyhow, I will make it to one of your events this summer, or damn me otherwise. Would love to make the launch event tonight, if not just for the trivia, but I didn’t exactly clear my schedule for it. Otherwise, I’d rather read the book first and get to a proper Q&A. Either way, I’ll make it sooner or later.

^^ @Drew, I felt that way with Harry Potter and the last book. Previously I’d read every book up to the new release, but with the last one, well, I guess I was in college and busy. Now I never seem capable of rereading books, though it’s all I did in childhood. Chronicles of Narnia, 10 times? And then the wonderfully horrible BBC movies.

@Lev, I’m very excited to read this book and see you in Houston! Ordering my copy from the bookstore today.

16. trevor p says:

Pre-ordered The Magicians Land – and it’s delayed a few days because of shipping mistakes! I’m about to go full niffin here.

17. Leore Joanne Green says:

My fiance and I are flying from Israel to New York this September, he sent me a link to the Brooklyn Book Festival, and I was so psyched to see your name on the list, only to realize that according to the list you’ll be there Sunday 21st, which is a couple of days after we leave for Seattle :\

However, I’ve been getting said fiance hooked on your books! He already read the first one (well, actually I read it aloud to him, it was a thing), and will read the second one on the flight while I read the third installment :D

So anyway, too bad we won’t get to see you, but so excited and looking forward to reading your new book :)

18. Steven says:

When will The Magician’s Land become available on Kindle for non-US readers? Gutted that I couldn’t get it on the Kindle store from South Africa :(

@Steven, if you want to follow the link in my name back to my blog, my email’s there. I have a friend in London who was able to work out a way where the publisher still got the money and sale and he still got his Kindle book.

20. Niki says:

Why can’t I get this in New Zealand yet? I’m dying! Please make this available here… :(

21. Inkling says:

Just came here to ask about an ebook version outside of the US too. Doesn’t seem to be available via Amazon or anywhere else in the UK. Gutted!

22. Margaret says:

I had planned to see you Thursday at Rakestraw Books in Danville (got my copy of The Magician King signed when you were there last) but I see today that they’ve moved it to a private house? And I need to call to reserve a spot? I don’t want to go to a private house, it sounds creepy. Unless that house is the Chatwin house in Cornwall, I’d go there.

23. Tiger Flanagan says:

Desperately desperate for a UK kindle version of the new book…any ideas if it’s going to happen?

It’s going to happen. As to when, still don’t know. But there’s movement. Will post about it ASAP.

25. Bonnie says:

I have been trying to find the box set, but the only thing I can find is a few copies on Amazon for $75 or more. I would love to find an affordable set, as I read the first two from the library but would like to own all three.

26. Ian Monroe says:

Is there basically no British publisher? I’m having some culture shock over here. I’m just visiting Britain so can’t use amazon, and have been searching the local bookshops for Magicians Land and haven’t seen it. How is Lev Grossman not a bigger name in Britain? I feel like at least in the fantasy sections of US bookstores you are kinda a big deal. Clearly something is wrong with Britain.

27. Louisa says:

Just wondering if there was any news about the UK Kindle release date?

28. Liz says:

I have enjoyed the first two instalments of the Magician’s Trilogy enormously. However, I’m in Sydney, Australia, and I’m hurting for a kindle edition of The Magician’s Land. They say patience is a virtue… In the meantime, thank you for these books, Lev. There are some aspects of the human condition that are best explored through fantasy. Exploring them through your work has been a great pleasure and I look forward to more!