Tuesday, May 11th, 2010

From Hell’s Heart I Stab at Thee. Social Media Hell That Is

Actually I’m stabbing at you from a coffee shop in beautiful rainy Ann Arbor, where I went to film one of these. I ran around a Borders babbling like an idiot while a nice man followed me with a video camera.

I do that a lot anyway. But there isn’t usually a cameraman there. I will post the results when they’re ready, except if they’re shameful, in which case I’ll disavow them.

So because I am an author, I have to have a ‘social media strategy,’ which is one reason I started this blog. Though I’ll tell you a weird thing: I fricking love this blog, and it is getting more and more difficult to pry myself away from it. I also tweet.

So far so good. But now I realize I need to deal w/ Facebook, too. So I’ve started paying attention to my Facebook profile. And I set up a Facebook fan page. For myself. Which felt weird, but I powered through it anyway.

And see, this is where it all started falling apart. There was already a Facebook page for me. It was nice — it flowed in any status updates that mention me, including my own, and my Wikipedia entry buy zithromax online overnight shipping (which I hate, but haven’t edited so when I die I can still get into WikiHeaven) — but I couldn’t figure out who created it. Or maybe it spontaneously generated itself.

So I started a new one. But it doesn’t pick up status updates about or by me. In fact it looks crappy and has no fans. Now I’m asking myself, as I do every day, why can I not be more like Neil Gaiman and Patrick Rothfuss? And not just, you know, the hair. Though that would be a start.

So now I’m the proud owner of a blog, a Twitter feed, and two Facebook pages. I can sync my Twitter feed to one of my Facebook pages, but not both, and none of the others seem to want to talk to each other, including the two Facebook pages. So I have to run around Charlie Chaplin-style, updating them all sequentially. It’s a fricking nightmare.

I know it’s unusual for a writer to whine. That’s what makes me so special. I saw that Robert Khoo uses HootSuite, so I’m going to give that a try. Maybe that will solve all my problems.

Even just the hair thing would be a start.

7 comments on “From Hell’s Heart I Stab at Thee. Social Media Hell That Is

once i reviewed a book on my own blog, then a few days later, through what i assume to be, vanity googling, he found it and commented on my review. as well he added me as a friend on facebook!

i will add you as a friend on facebook now, do not be alarmed. it means people like you 😀

he as in the author..

3. Matt S says:

Weird, I’m heading up to Ann Arbor for the weekend to go to Expeditious, which is a local Potter conference (http://www.thefifthhouse.org/)

I’m assuming any chance you’ll be there is remote.

@M I’ll try. be gentle with me.

@MattS seriously? man, no one ever tells me anything. I’ll be gone by then.

5. Beth says:

Hootsuite is probably your best option right now. You can send from it to both your Facebook page and your Facebook profile, as well as Twitter. With the official twitter and facebook apps you can send from twitter to your personal facebook profile (but not the other way around) and from your official facebook page to twitter (but not the other way around). Yes, that makes absolutely no sense. No, they’ve never said anything about fixing it.

The random Facebook page with no controlling human was spontaneously generated when Facebook made the interests on everybody’s profiles public by turning them into links to a page. They did a not so great (to put it mildly) job connecting the interests listed to the pages that already exists. There’s more info about it at http://www.allfacebook.com/2010/04/the-problem-with-community-pages/.

Social media is fun, but definitely not easy. Best of luck with yours 🙂

Thank you Beth. This is really helpful.

7. Gary Gibson says:

I get the impression quite a few writers have avoided building fanpages on facebook; indeed, I get the impression there’s been something of a backlash against them, or maybe that’s just the writers I tend to link to on Facebook.

My guess people don’t want to be seen as blowing their own trumpet too loudly, and a huge number of self-published authors with ‘fan pages’ probably isn’t helping matters any.

On the other, other hand, it’s probably nice to be able to have two profiles – one for your friends and relations, and another for anyone who wants to call themselves a ‘fan’.